Resource Library Resource Library
Peer Learning: Fostering MLs’ Oral Language Development and Content Understanding Peer Learning: Fostering MLs’ Oral Language Development and Content Understanding
This webinar deep dives into fostering Multilingual Learners’ oral language development and content understanding. In this webinar, we will:
- Discuss why peer learning opportunities are essential to MLs’ oral language development and understanding of content.
- Explore four key practices for fostering MLs’ engagement and participation in peer learning activities.
- Apply peer learning tools and strategies to your work with MLs in your context.
- Gain access to a Padlet of free tools and resources.
Presenters: Diane Staehr Fenner, PhD & Sydney Snyder, PhD
SEL for Multilingual Learners (MLs): Urgent Considerations and Tools to Use for Equity SEL for Multilingual Learners (MLs): Urgent Considerations and Tools to Use for Equity
In short: we’re facing yet another crisis, and our MLs’ social-emotional well-being and academic success are at risk. Whether you’re a teacher or an administrator, here’s your opportunity to begin reversing these outcomes. Learn more about:
- Why SEL for multilingual learners? Why now especially?
- What the research on SEL and multilingual learners tells us
- How to address MLs’ unique strengths and needs in your SEL planning
- How to utilize our new SEL for MLs Framework to align essential ML actions with CASEL’s 5 SEL competencies
Presenters: Sydney Snyder and Diane Staehr Fenner
Culturally Responsive Teaching for Multilingual Learners (MLs): Tools for Equity Culturally Responsive Teaching for Multilingual Learners (MLs): Tools for Equity
Culturally responsive teaching is an essential practice to equitably educate MLs. However, understanding what it looks like when implemented in schools and classrooms can be challenging to pin down. Together, we’ll:
- Discuss the importance of culturally responsive teaching in educating MLs
- Share our five guiding principles for integrating culturally responsive teaching for MLs and their families
- Explore look-fors, tools, and strategies to support the five guiding principles
- Reflect on how the culturally responsive teaching principles can be applied in your context
Presenters: Mindi Teich and Diane Staehr Fenner
Fostering English Learner (EL) Interaction in Digital Landscape Fostering English Learner (EL) Interaction in Digital Landscape
This webinar features guest presenter Esther Park — a 15-year former high school teacher of ELs who currently works as an instructional designer, virtual instruction innovator, educational consultant, and online adjunct instructor.
- Explore technology strategies, tips, and tech tools for fostering authentic digital interactions for ELs working in virtual or hybrid learning environments
- Discuss the importance of EL engagement in virtual settings, highlighting challenges and successful strategies to address them
Hosted by Diane Staehr Fenner and guest presenter Esther Park
Supporting English Learners (ELs) in 2020-21: Looking Back and Looking Ahead Supporting English Learners (ELs) in 2020-21: Looking Back and Looking Ahead
In partnership with the South Dakota Department of Education, this webinar shares lessons learned from distance learning in spring 2020 and tools and suggestions for supporting ELs in the 2020-21 academic year.
- Explore lessons learned from distance learning in spring 2020
- Reflect on 5 areas for supporting ELs in the new academic year
- Learn about connections between challenges and solutions in reaching ELs in rural, urban, and suburban contexts
Presenters Diane Staehr Fenner, Yutzil Becker, and Gwyneth Fastnacht
Practical Strategies & Resources for English Learner (EL) Distance Learning Practical Strategies & Resources for English Learner (EL) Distance Learning
With districts closing to slow the spread of COVID-19, teachers have had to quickly pivot to teaching ELs online. In this webinar, guest presenter and EL online educator Dr. Eugenia Krimmel shares and models strategies for teaching K-12 ELs online.
- Five technology suggestions for supporting ELs in online learning
- Practical strategies for online instruction of ELs
- Padlet of tools and resources for online content, communicating with families, internet access, and translation
Hosted by Diane Staehr Fenner and guest presenter Eugenia Krimmel
Making Text Accessible for English Learners (ELs) Making Text Accessible for English Learners (ELs)
Explore research-based strategies and easily implementable classroom activities centered around making complex text accessible to ELs.
- Six key considerations for making complex text accessible to ELs
- Practical strategies for supporting EL engagement and participation
- Handouts packed with easily implementable classroom activities
Guest presenters Jill Kester and Erica Daniels
The Best Collaborative and Instructional Strategies for Supporting Our English Learners (ELs) The Best Collaborative and Instructional Strategies for Supporting Our English Learners (ELs)
Talk about the benefits of collaboration and discover instructional strategies for scaffolding instruction across content areas.
- Supporting ELs’ language development and content acquisition through scaffolded instruction
- Scaffolding content instruction for ELs of varying proficiency levels
- Collaborating with colleagues to plan scaffolded lessons in content areas
Presenters Diane Staehr Fenner, Sydney Snyder, Maria Dove, and Andrea Honigsfeld
How Teachers Can Advocate for English Learners (ELs) How Teachers Can Advocate for English Learners (ELs)
Explore common challenges faced by educators when advocating for ELs. Gain practical tools for EL advocacy that you can implement into your schools and districts immediately.
- Defining EL advocacy
- Isolating your EL advocacy issue
- Highlighting 3 key EL advocacy issues
- Advocating for ELs using steps and tools designed for each issue
- Applying your EL advocacy skills
Presenter Diane Staehr Fenner
The Five Pillars of Equitably Grading English Learners (ELs) The Five Pillars of Equitably Grading English Learners (ELs)
Explore common EL grading challenges faced by educators with our new 5 Pillars of Equitably Grading ELs framework. Discuss pressing EL grading topics with national experts on EL education and assessment. Gain practical tools for equitable EL grading that you can implement into your schools immediately.
Hosted by Diane Staehr Fenner and guest presenter Larry Ferlazzo
Effectively Supporting Students with Limited or Interrupted Formal Education (SLIFE) in Your Schools Effectively Supporting Students with Limited or Interrupted Formal Education (SLIFE) in Your Schools
Learn innovative strategies and tools used by the nation’s tenth largest school district to effectively support SLIFE and improve their chances for academic and personal growth.
- Practical tools for effectively identifying and assessing SLIFE
- Strategies for providing literacy intervention and support to SLIFE
- Innovative strategies for providing consistent socio-emotional support for SLIFE
Guest presenters: Karen Kleiber and Sonia Arellano of FCPS
Embedding Academic Language for English Learners (ELs) Embedding Academic Language for English Learners (ELs)
Learn the best practices around delivering thoughtful and systematic academic language instruction for English learners. Synthesize highlights from research and the classroom to uncover strategies that teach to the layers of word, sentence, and discourse within Academic Language.
Presenter: Diane Staehr Fenner