- Posted by Diane Staehr Fenner
- On January 21, 2014
- 0 Comments
- Advocacy, CCSS, Center for Applied LInguistics, Common Core, ELL, webinar
Originally published January 10, 2014 on Colorin Colorado
We are pleased to announce that our Common Core for ELLs blogger, Dr. Diane Staehr Fenner, will be presenting a webinar on Thursday, January 16, 2014 at 1-2 pm EST entitled “Introduction to the Common Core: Advocating for English Learners.” (Register here.)
The webinar will be presented through the Center for Applied Linguistics’ new online network of teachers, Education Connections, designed for professionals working with ELLs, and will kick off the network’s expert webinar series.
Diane will provide participants with tools they can use to make informed decisions about ways to advocate for ELs as part of CCSS implementation. It will include some of the resources you’ve seen on the blog, such as an interactive checklist to help educators of ELs reflect on areas of CCSS preparation and rollout taking place in their setting and prioritize areas for their future action. It will also focus on four practical examples of advocating for ELs in the CCSS framework, including conducting an equity audit, creating an individual EL learning plan, advocating for equitable assessment of ELs in the CCSS, and determining how much background knowledge to provide ELs.
More about Education Connections
Education Connections from CAL provides:
- Resources: Practical, teacher-oriented resources around standards-based instruction, with a focus on the Common Core and English learners
- Communities of Practice for connecting with your colleagues
- Lesson Plans and a monthly lesson planning competition