In this month’s newsletter we’ll feature some of our new contracts, work in the area of English learner advocacy, our latest writing and presentations, our Colorin Colorado blog posts, and our upcoming events.
We are excited to report that in April 2013 we signed a contract with the American Institutes for Research (AIR) to develop and provide curricular professional development prototypes for ELs and their English proficient peers to help them meet the demands of the Common Core State Standards. We’ll keep you posted on that project!
We also signed a contract with the Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents (ALAS) to write more white papers for that organization on EL and Latino student achievement.
English Learner Advocacy Work
Another new contract for DSF Consulting was with the National Education Association (NEA). Diane had a very rewarding experience facilitating the three-day NEA ELL Summit held in Austin, Texas in April. Forty ELL educators from across the country joined together to define advocacy for ELLs in their contexts, discuss issues related to ELL achievement, and brainstorm a vision to advocate for ELLs. Stay tuned for further work from the NEA in this important area.
Speaking of advocacy, Diane’s upcoming book Advocating for English learners: A guide for educators is receiving multiple endorsements from researchers, policymakers, and practitioners in the field. Take a look here!
Writing and Presentations
- Diane presented a webinar for the State Title III Directors for the United States Department of Education on the topic of teacher evaluation that is inclusive of English learners.
- Diane wrote a report related to the findings of TESOL International Association’s Convening on the Role of the ESL Teacher in the Implementation of the Common Core State Standards. We’ll link to it on the website when it’s available later this month.
- Diane’s response to a question on teaching ELLs the Common Core posed by Larry Ferlazzo was featured in Education Week Teacher online.
Colorin Colorado Blog Posts
Take a look at Diane and Ayanna’s blog posts on Colorin Colorado. We’re excited to be the only bloggers focusing specifically on the CCSS for ELLs and had a very busy month writing and connecting with others on this important topic!
- AFT President Calls for Halt on High Stakes Linked to Common Core
- Advocating for ELLs in Implementing the CCSS
- TESOL International Association Issue Brief on the CCSS for ELLs
- Teaching Science to ELLs: What Do the Next Generation Science Standards Tell Us?
- Science and Language: Making Connections with the NGSS
- The Academic Language of Mathematics
- Diane and Colorin Colorado manager Lydia Breiseth will keynote the Rhode Island Teachers of English Language Learners (RITELL) conference on May 4. Diane will also provide a breakout session.
- Ayanna will co-present a webinar May 9 with Dr. Anita Bright titled Implications and Applications of the Common Core Standards for Effectively Teaching K-6 ELLs: Focus on English and Mathematics. TESOL International Association is hosting the webinar.
- Diane will co-present a symposium on advocacy for ELs at the 8th International Conference on Language Teacher Education in Washington, DC on May 31.
- Diane will co-present a TESOL Academy titled Advocating for English Learners: K-12 Teachers and Teacher Educators Working Together. The academy will be held June 21-22 at the University of Maryland Baltimore County.