March 2013 Newsletter
- Posted by Diane Staehr Fenner
- On March 1, 2013
- 0 Comments
- American Federation of Teachers, CCSS, Colorin Colorado, Common Core, ELL, English language learner, NABE, teacher evaluation, TESOL
Thanks for your interest in DSF Consulting. Here are some of the ways our team worked to support the achievement of English learners and the educators who work with them last month.
Presentations and Group Facilitation
- Diane and John Segota, TESOL International Association’s Associate Executive Director for Public Policy and Professional Relations, presented at the National Association for Bilingual Education conference in Orlando, Florida. Their presentation (to a packed room) was about preparing all teachers of ELs in the age of the Common Core State Standards.
- Along with Executive Director Rosa Aronson and John Segota, Diane facilitated TESOL International Association’s Common Core convening in Alexandria, VA. The timely topic of the convening was the Role of the ESL Teacher in the Implementation of the Common Core State Standards. The convening brought together ESL teachers, LEA directors, researchers, policymakers, and thought leaders in the field of EL education for a collaborative discussion on the topic. You can read more about the convening here on the Colorin Colorado website. Findings from this convening will be published in Spring 2013.
- Ayanna and Diane facilitated two days of professional development for a group of more than 50 teachers and district directors of ESL and Special Education from Rhode Island and New York for the American Federation of Teachers in Washington, DC. They presented EL education considerations and linked their content to general education/content area teacher evaluation that is inclusive of ELs in these states’ contexts.
Articles and Blogs
- Ayanna Cooper’s new article was published in the February edition Language Magazine. The article is called Sharing the Story: Enhancing, Embedding, and Embracing Black History Month. Look for it here on page 31 of the magazine. Ayanna has been an advocate for researching and reframing how we educate Black ELLs and will be writing and presenting more on this topic in the upcoming months.
- Diane wrote these blogs directed at educators of ELs for Colorin Colorado: