June 2013 Newsletter
- Posted by Diane Staehr Fenner
- On June 3, 2013
- 0 Comments
- Advocacy, American Federation of Teachers, collaboration, Common Core, Culture, Education, English as a Second Language, English language learners, English learners, ESL, language, Professional Development, teacher evaluation, TESOL, WIDA, WIDA ACCESS, Writing
Thank you for your interest in DSF Consulting – a firm that provides consulting services for English learners and those who educate them. Here are a few things we were up to in May 2013.
- Diane’s book Advocating for English Learners: A Guide for Educators (which will be published by Corwin press in September) received rave reviews from practitioners and experts in the field. Take a look here.
- Diane and Lydia Breiseth from Colorin Colorado presented the keynote address at the Rhode Island Teachers of ELLs Conference. Diane also presented a breakout session on collaboration between content and English as a Second Language (ESL) teachers during the implementation of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
- Ayanna Cooper and Anita Bright presented a webinar titled Implications and Applications of the Common Core Standards for Effectively Teaching K-6 ELLs: Focus on English and Mathematics for TESOL International Association.
- Diane and Debbie Taub from Keystone Assessment provided professional development to teachers from across Pennsylvania at the Lincoln Intermediate Unit near Gettysburg. Their topic was special education/ESL collaboration for dually identified English learners (ELs).
- Diane authored the findings from TESOL International Association’s Common Core State Standards convening on the role of the ESL teacher during the implementation of the CCSS. See TESOL’s press release here.
- Ayanna supported a district in Kentucky with an EL parent information meeting about WIDA ACCESS score report interpretation.
- Diane and Ayanna signed a contract to create professional development (PD) materials on teacher evaluation that is inclusive of ELs for the American Federation of Teachers. Ayanna will provide 1.5 days of PD at the AFT TEACH Conference in July 2013 while Diane is on vacation with her kids.
- Ayanna educated Massachusetts’ Malden Public Schools’ entire staff about WIDA ACCESS score report interpretation and provided EL program technical support.
- Diane presented a symposium titled Preparing Teachers to Advocate for English Learners at the 8th International Conference on Language Teacher Education in Washington, DC. She co-presented with Heather Linville from American University and Anne Marie Foerster Luu, ESOL Teacher from Montgomery Public Schools (MD) and TESOL International Association’s Teacher of the Year.
Diane wrote the following blogs on the Common Core for ELLs for Colorin Colorado: