During March 2012, DSF Consulting served English learners by publishing one book and two articles, meeting with several different groups of stakeholders, and making varied presentations at an international convention. We also have a newly designed website that we hope you will like. Be sure to sign up to receive notification of our monthly newsletters.
Diane Staehr Fenner’s new book, Preparing Effective Teachers of English Language Learners, co-authored with Natalie Kuhlman, has just been published by TESOL International Association. The book provides guidelines, examples, and strategies in applying the TESOL P–12 Professional Teaching Standards for:
1. The creation of new or revised ESL teacher education programs
2. National recognition through the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education/ Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (NCATE/CAEP)
3. Professional development of in-service ESL teachers as well as content area teachers who work with ELs
Diane and Natalie also authored an article for the National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition’s Accelerate! quarterly review. Read it here.
Diane and John Segota published an article for the Colorín Colorado website that discusses the ways in which language proficiency and teaching standards can help shape the instruction of English language learners. Read it here.
In addition to publishing on the topic of teacher preparation, Diane represented DSF Consulting in the following ways:
• Presenting on research undertaken for American Museum of Natural History in New York City regarding its newly created MAT Earth Science program’s linguistic profiles of five partner schools with significant numbers of ELs
• Taking part in a meeting at the American Federation of Teachers in Washington, DC as an i3 grant EL adviser to ensure teachers of ELs are included equitably in teacher evaluation programs
Diane presented on a wide variety of topics at the TESOL Convention and Language Expo in Philadelphia, PA, including:
• Facilitating a full-day workshop for those compiling and reviewing National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) ESL teacher education reports; more than 50 people were trained.
• A presentation with Natalie Kuhlman requested by the Office of English Language titled The application of the TESOL P-12 Professional Teaching Standards
• A presentation with multiple presenters titled The TESOL Professional Standards for P-12 Teachers
• A presentation of research findings with Laura Wright of the Center for Applied Linguistics titled ONPAR science: Next generation testing for English learners
Finally, DSF Consulting is pleased to be assisting one new client and helping an existing client in additional ways. We will be writing a series of newsletters, papers, and e-briefs on topics related to EL education such as teacher preparation, STEM for ELs, and the implementation of the Common Core State Standards for the Association of Latino Administrators and Superintendents (ALAS). We will also assist the American Federation of Teachers with creating professional development materials related to the implementation of the Common Core State Standards for ELs.
Thank you for your interest in DSF Consulting.